BEAM Telescope Build
Kaja Coraor

The fourth telescope build day was productive. Our marketing team designed a logo for shirts and laptop stickers. A case for the lenses was manufactured. Our phenomenal artists finished the last touches on the Starry Night tube design. Teflon was placed on the telescope base to reduce friction when moving the telescope. The laser cutter team etched the last of the base boards.

Smooth strokes coating the tube

Smooth strokes coating the tube

To protect our telescope from wear and tear we put a couple coats of polyurethane on the outside. This keeps the paint from peeling off over time while the scope gets aimed as well as protecting it from water and other elements during a viewing session.

#ActionShot #ProtectedFromDanger

#ActionShot #ProtectedFromDanger

Our build team for this week assembled a tension clamp for the telescope holder to keep it from sliding. We also added teflon to the tilt mechanism to keep it from rotating too easy. A little hot glue and trimming later and we gave it a “good buttery smooth feeling” in the words of our mentor. Afterwards, we celebrated coming close to completing all of the mechanisms.

So excited for the capstone event!

So excited for the capstone event!

Build team part 2 worked on assembling a case for all of our eyepieces, our tracker, and some star maps and booklets for any of the aspiring astronomers that use our telescope down the road. Using pull-apart construction foam, some knives, and a little creativity we created a functional and fashionable case for all to enjoy.

 I wish someone would organize my sock drawer this well

I wish someone would organize my sock drawer this well